Translate

Tuesday 7 October 2014

Listening to that little voice...

I have a tendency to listen to my inner voice - it rarely fails me I find.

Today, instead of beginning the editing of The Boy Who Rescues Pigeons I have decided to work on The Plan which is already half finished. For some reason I am not yet ready to edit the first book nor am I ready to move onto the new story that popped into my head when I was in the shower the other day...the main character is not yet fleshed out enough by my sub-conscience to allow me to fully capture her essence. By working on something else, I will give her time and space to evolve, just like a caterpillar evolves into a beautiful butterfly.

So in the meantime here is the first paragraph I have written today :-



The dress wasn’t particularly comfortable to drive in; the beads dug into her bottom and back like little chips of diamonds. If I was to take this dress off now, I would look like I had been lying on a bed of nails, she thought. Little indentations all over my skin…

She pulled up at the house number Indie had said she lived at. It was a modest terrace in a reasonable area but watching Indie step out of the front door and close it behind herself was like watching Captain Picard of The Enterprise step out of a burger van – nothing about the picture fit.
 
 
I am often asked if my characters are like me. In this particular book there is no character that I could really fully identify with, they are all very different to me. But the situations they find themselves in - well some of those stem from my real life [but my lips are sealed as to which ones they are...]
 
Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment